March 12, 2013

{Fitness Corner} WLC Half way point and Crossfit Open

So I am half way through my second round of the Whole Life Challenge. This time around doesn't feel as bad with nutrition. I think it helps that I knew what to expect and that I tried to keep up with my nutrition even after the last challenge (I wasn't perfect). With the last challenge I lost all the baby weight, this time I just seem to be maintaining, which is great and a little disappointing at the same time. But I realize that I don't have much weight that I need to lose. My goal is really to lose inches. I have yet to measure myself and see how that is panning out. But my mama belly is still sticking around, so that is quite frustrating to me. They say that is usually the last to go. On the other hand, some of my clothes are looser than before and I have some that I have to pin up to stay on me. That has to be a good sign.

I do know that I have become a lot stronger. Since starting the challenge about a month ago I can do kipping pull-ups and toes to bar. Those are pretty large achievements for me. I remember starting crossfit just 8 months ago and both those skills seemed impossible to achieve, they were so hard. I have learned with crossfit everything is possible. On top of that, I am able to do some of the WODs (workout of the day) as they are prescribed. Meaning, I don't have to modify the workout down to my level. I can actually do some of the workouts at the level that they are written. That is huge for me. I was always modifying the workout to my level (which is one of the great things about crossfit, everything is scaleable). Now, I am lifting heavier weights and doing things like pull-ups and toes to bar. I can't do all of the WODs prescribed, but I am seeing progress and improvement as I am able to do some. It feels really good. That is not to say that I am faster, but I am definitely stronger and working harder. It is great to see the improvement happen. I am getting better than I was. That's what it is about.

These accomplishment in my fitness gave me the confidence to sign up for the Crossfit Games Open. Basically, anyone can sign up for the Open and do the workouts. The top competitors move on to Regionals and then the Games (like one of my trainers!). I know I won't move on, but it is actually fun to see where I rank among thousands of people. Last week was the first workout 13.1.

Workout 13.1 (for women)

17 minute AMRAP of:
40 Burpees
30 Snatch, 45 lbs
30 Burpees
30 Snatch, 75 lbs
20 Burpees
30 Snatch, 100 lbs
10 burpees
Max rep Snatch, 120 lbs

I don't know what I was thinking but, I did it. I didn't get to 100 lbs, in fact, I barely did one 75 lb snatch, but the fact of the matter was that I did one. Considering I hadn't done a snatch more than 55 lbs, I was very proud of myself for getting that 1. It was a PR (personal record) and I am taking it. It took me maybe 5 minutes of trying to get that one in, but I didn't give up and got it. Who knew?

I am stronger and feeling great about myself. I just have to keep it up. For me it is all about being fit and healthy to enjoy life and what life has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. That work out sounds intense! You are doing awesome, Sher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete