March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday: The beginning of 40 days

Today is Ash Wednesday marking the start of the Lenten season. I admit that I have not been the best Catholic. In fact, since Baby Bear was born I have only been to mass a handful of times. I really need to get back to church. Luckily, they held a mass at the colleges and I was able to go during lunch to get my ashes.

I still plan to observe Lent as I always do. I am planning to give up sweets; meaning candy, treats, chocolate, ice cream, etc. I also plan to collect one item of my belongings each day to give to Goodwill or other charitable causes. So the idea is that by the end of the 40 days of Lent, I should have 40 items, whether it be clothing or trinkets or anything else to donate. The caveat is that it has to be my belonging not Baby Bear's or Papa Bear's. It would be way to easy to give away a bunch of Baby Bear's clothing and toys. I have way too many material possessions and this is one way for me to give to those who don't have as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment