September 10, 2010

The New Rules of Lifting for Women

My mother-in-law recently gave me a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW). I had heard of it before and wanted to check it out, so I was really excited that she had an extra copy and gave it to me. I finally got the chance to sit down and read it (it is not often in the last year that I have had the opportunity to read anything that was not baby related).

I really enjoyed what the book had to say. It dispels many of the myths of lifting weights for women. I have always known the benefits of lifting and actually preferring strength training to cardio, so I really liked what the authors had to say. I agreed with much of what they had to say and learned some new things as well.

The workout plan seems very doable. I have been looking to make a change in my workout routine and needed a good plan to follow to see better results. I have just been winging it in terms of my strength training. I knew I needed something that would fit into my busy schedule as a working mother. NROLFW is just what I need. It is a routine that is done 2-3 times a week and it is a full body workout that can be done in less than an hour. Perfect for my schedule. With my schedule and commitments, I have 4 mornings available to workout. The ideal is to follow their plan 3 days a week with a full rest day between workouts, however I only have 2 days with a rest in between to devote with my schedule. The other 2 days I have will be my cardio (rest) days. It is a 6 month program doing it 3 days a week, so it will be a little longer for me. That is just fine with me, I realize and understand that it takes time. My goals are long term.

I really appreciate that the plan is efficient use of time. They talk about doing functional exercises that not just isolate but work several muscles at a time. That makes a lot of sense to me. It really isn't an efficient use of my time to do bicep curls that only work my biceps when I can do a push up that works so much more. Plus, I actually love push ups. I know I am crazy.

So I look forward to going through this program and started this week and so far so good. My legs are definitely feeling it. I think I may need to increase the weight to feel it in my upper body. I do think I can keep this up. I am not very good at following programs on my own, but I really think this is something I can do. This program is very doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment